Either your too curvy, too thin, too tall, too short. Basically you can never win when it comes to either how others perceive us, through to how we perceive ourselves. People negatively comment or criticize others outward physical appearance almost as if they some sort of right too. Body shaming can cause others to feel insecure about their bodies, through to feeling ashamed about how their bodies look based on somebody elses obscure opinion.
Body shaming defined as:
“The action or practice of humiliating someone by making mocking or critical comments about their body shape or size.”
TYPES OF BODY SHAMING
- Verbally in person, in passing, from strangers to family members.
- Comments made online by others on your personal social media accounts.
- Ourselves – sometimes we can get caught up speaking negatively about our bodies.
THE POWER OF WORDS
Words hold the weight and power to either speak life or death over others and over ourselves. Body shaming can cause others to sink into a deep depression, through to picking up very unhealthy eating disorders that can be life threatening. Think before you speak, think before you comment about somebody else’s physique and body shape. Speaking negatively of others will always speak of your character first and foremost.
Choose your words wisely, as it carries weight, and can hold a negative effect over us and over others.
The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. – Proverbs 18:21
Instead of negatively criticizing others or yourself, replace your negative speech with words of kindness and love. Choose to speak words of encouragement, and seek out the good in others. Your encouragement whether used towards yourself or towards others will instill healthy self love and self esteem, through to encouraging confidence that can be found in feeling comfortable in your own skin.
YOU ARE A MASTERPIECE
God created you in His perfect image. Isn’t it so amazing, that we are all so unique, so wonderfully created that we all are an expression of who God is? Therefore, we masterpieces, his living works of art! Masterpieces are worth being celebrated – no matter how different and unique they are.
We are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” – Ephesians 2:10
Our value cannot be found in what others think of us, our value is found in knowing what God thinks of us, and He sees us as masterpieces, as works of art!
- Beauty and size is not a “one size fits all”
- No one has the power to make you feel “less than” unless you give them that power.
- Your worth and value as a person cannot be measured by the size of your waist.
- Who you are is unique and a master piece in the making.
- Who you are is found in who God is, and what He says about you!
- Your body type and shape should be celebrated not condemned .
- You have a choice when it comes to what you speak over others and over yourself – speak life over yourself and over others.
- Instead of going on unrealistic dieting fads, seek out living a healthy balanced lifestyle.
Lastly, celebrate others, and celebrate yourself, you are God’s masterpiece after all and that is worth all the celebrating in the world!
If you are wanting to know more about being in a personal relationship with God, and would like to grow in finding your identity in God, then may I encourage you to click on the link below.