Gem Squash (Pumpkin) Pie
Feature Cook: Jeanette from South Africa
- 4-5 gem squashes
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 big tablespoon self-raising flour or wheat cake flour
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1x 250ml cream/milk
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder if you use wheat flour or 2,5ml (half a teaspoon) if you use self-raising flour
- 1 cup of sugar (250ml)
- A pinch of salt
- Boil gem squashed until soft. Allow to cool and then scrape out soft flesh into a mixing bowl.
- Separate the egg yolk and white.
- Mix all the ingredients except for the white of the egg.
- Beat the white of the egg still stiff and carefully fold into mixture.
- Spray your baking pan and put in the mixture.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top and bake for 45min on 180C.